Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hello again everyone, and blessings from warm sunny Sierra Leone.

We are getting settled after a 2 month trip back to the USA, I promised Cindy we would get a refrigerator when we got back so we traveled last week to Kenema to purchase a Sanyo SRF42 and she is very happy with it. It works great when there's power and we actually had power 3 days since we purchased it about 8 days ago, that's real good for Sierra Leone with it's frequent power outages. Actualy I should clarify I'm counting a day with over 30 minutes of power as a day with power.

There are things we get allot of here though like flat tires, in the 9 months I've had my Toyota pickup here I have had 6 flat tires, that's pretty good since there are only 5 with the spare, if you do the arithmetic you can see I've had a flat on a tire I don't even own, so I'm ahead by 1. I guess that's a testimony to the rough road conditions. My brother Mic says it's because we're so close to the equator and because of the speed the earth turns so I might try driving in reverse with the back windows open to slow down that effect.

On a more serious note one thing there is surely more of here is death, there have been 2 deaths in our neighborhood in the few months we have been here, one woman across the street, and a 5 year old girl who died of malaria a few days ago. This is so sad because malaria is curable now with modern medicines and there is no need for anyone to die with proper treatment. I didn't know either of the victims but it does drive home the reality of the situation here. We keep praying God will make a difference in the lives of the people, we pray for the sick and help any way we can. I drove an old woman to the doctor who looked like she would die but she made a great turn around and is now OK, I'm the only one in the neighborhood with a vehicle. Cindy and I also prayed for a woman at our bible study who had a bad foot injury with a nail through the top of her foot that had bothered her for some time; we prayed and gave her some ibuprofen and the next day she was fine, thanks be to God.

It is our hope and prayer that many Sierra Leonans will come to faith in Jesus Christ through our ministry here and that Sierra Leone will be a better place to live because of the love that Christianity brings to a culture. Less sickness, less unemployment, less untimely death, less hopelessness, you get the picture. In Jesus Christ the one and only Son of God we find a better life today, with hope and eternal life for tomorrow. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ please pray for us as we work here for him.

God Bless, Rev. D

No comments: