Thursday, June 18, 2009

Help Wanted!

The laborer is worth his wages, If a person will not work they shall not eat. These are common sayings in the Christian circles I have fellowship in during my life time, and they are great principals that promote a good work ethic that is properly and swiftly rewarded. I believe in these things and have enjoyed in my lifetime the blessings of my labor.

Today I heard a story that just left me puzzled, like there was a big empty hole in my understanding of Justice in the work place, my eyes were opened to the injustice in our worlds market for labor. I was involved along with some of my teammates at No Greater Love International in an interview for a job position in the Crossroads Youth Center we are opening in Freetown, Sierra Leone. We were interviewing a woman for one of the job positions and someone asked how much she made at her last job, the answer, 100,000 Leons per month. Now 100,000 Leons sounds great to someone who hasn't changed Dollars to Leons lately. 100,000 Leons exchanges to about $31, in US Dollars. So you can see wile $8 an hour isn't even a living wage in the US she was earning at a rate of about 8 hours a Dollar, friends that's not a living wage anywhere on earth. It broke my heart to think of how much she must struggle to live, in Sierra Leone the nationals can eat ok for $1 a day but this was a grown woman with no hope of ever supporting herself on that wage, and she was one of the few lucky ones to even have a job.

Please pray that the Lord Jesus Christ will bless the people of Sierra Leone, that they would see their need for his love and forgiveness, and entrust their lives to him; and that Sierra Leone will arise from poverty to productivity. May God grant that Cindy and I will be privileged to be a part of his work in peoples lives here.

Blessings, Rev. D

No comments: